Chronic stress relief has taken over in a new form – adult coloring books.
With more intricate designs that allow the user to spend more time in each print, adult coloring books are now all the rage. When the first commercially successful adult coloring books were published back in 2012, research changed what was once a niche hobby, into an essential for the modern adult’s health and wellness regimen.
Creatively, adult coloring books use both the right and left hemisphere of the brain, allowing users to think more artistically. Although, adult coloring books aren’t the same as art therapy classes, according to the American Art Therapy Association, creating any form of artwork is used to “explore feelings, reconcile emotional conflicts, foster self-awareness, manage behavior and addictions, develop social skills, improve reality orientation, reduce anxiety and increase self-esteem.”
Researchers at John Hopkins and the Yoga Journal have suggested coloring as an alternative to meditation. Similar to meditation, coloring allows adults to switch off their brains from other thoughts and only focus on the moment, helping to alleviate any anxiety.
According to Behavioral Economist Michal Ann Strahilevitz, adult coloring books are down right “fun and every grown up has an inner child that just wants to play and coloring books are perfect for that.”
“So many things in life are hard, but coloring in a coloring book is easy. It’s a nice way to relax,” says Strahilevitz. “These books let us be creative with choice of color and create something lovely and unique, and best of all, we don’t have to be good at drawing to make something pretty.”
The books can range in design from animal prints, famous literature to pop cultures figures.
Studies show that adult coloring books promote the following positives:
- Allow users to be reminded of a simpler time in life. At some point in everyone’s childhood coloring books were introduced to them. This can bring a sense of nostalgia.
- Activities such as coloring can help individuals with PTSD, anxiety and other stress-related issues. Anatomically, the part of our brain that controls our “fight or flight” senses, coloring helps refocus the mind and calms users. It actually allows the brain to relax more.
- Coloring also utilizes areas of the brain that enhance focus and concentration. It helps with problem-solving and organizational skill building.
- Adult coloring books can help retain and build motor skills.
- Allows users who cannot draw to be creative.
With so many benefits, some brands are taking advantage and introducing promotional coloring books and are allowing for even more customization.
Companies such as Color Me Book will take your favorite Instagram photo and convert it into a personal coloring book that includes basic line drawings.
With so many possibilities, sales for adult coloring books have skyrocketed on e-commerce platforms such as Amazon.com and have continually remained a top seller.
Wondering how your business can incorporate one of the hottest promotional trends into your branding? From coloring books to color on tote bags, we’re here to help.